Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bees... part 1.


I've decided that I want to try keeping bees. I've also decided that I want to be as low impact and cheap about this as possible, both for me, and the bees. Today, I built my first bee hive. It is a Kenyan top bar hive. Thanks for the suggestions, Chris! This particular one is 20 inches long and is intended as a bait hive.


I have some lemongrass oil coming to use as an attractant. When it arrives I intend to hang this hive about 20 feet up in this black locust tree.

If I manage to catch a swarm, I will build a 4 foot long hive to transfer it into. If not, then next year I will consider trying to purchase some bees.

Got any other suggestions for me?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, don't kill yourself schlepping that thing 20 feet into the air. Its how most beekeepers hurt themselves.

    ReplyDelete