Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I think that we have a problem...

...fungus?

I don't know if it was all the rain that we had earlier in the springtime or what, but we seem to have a fungus moving through our garden. Started with the peas, hit the snap peas harder than the snow peas. Moved on to the beans, and now it is attacking the tomatoes. I just pulled out 4 plants. That makes me sad.

Contributing factor: heirloom plants? Last year the heirloom tomatoes were so much tastier than the hybrids that we planted, so I only planted heirlooms this year. I fear that this might have been a bad idea....

Much of the garden remains OK - so far no sign of trouble on the squash, pumpkins, watermelons, muskmelons, cucumbers, pole beans, potatoes, onions, lettuce, or corn... but the success of the garden is judged by the tomato crop in my mind. Keeping my fingers crossed. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Not good. Is there good air movement through there? If no dry weather is on the horizon I would be tempted to try a fungicide.

    ReplyDelete